When the Charles Street practice first opened its doors in 1933, it went by the name of Drs. Haws, Dudley, Morris and Spencer-Strong. These founding physicians were inspired to open a practice that would help define quality patient care for decades to come.
It was during this time that the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology was undergoing an important reorganization process. Just three years earlier, in 1930, the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology was first incorporated. The mission of the board, which still remains in tact today, aims:
“To encourage the study, improve the practice and advance the cause of obstetrics and gynecology, subjects which should be inseparably interwoven; and to grant and to issue to physicians duly licensed by law, certificates or other equivalent recognition of special knowledge in obstetrics and gynecology.”
Once the board was established, physicians began working together to build out the necessary guidelines for OB GYN doctors as they are today. Board certification was established as a four-year postgraduate program that required physicians to successfully complete their residency program, along with a written and oral exam.
In 1960, Charles Street OB GYN Associates was included in the merger of the Presbyterian Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital and the Hospital for the Women of Maryland, to form Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC).
So much has changed since opening our doors in 1933, but our commitment to upholding the original standards of our practice still remains our highest priority. Today, our staff continues to carry out the mission of delivering personalized women’s health and prenatal care to all women throughout the greater Baltimore region.
In 2016, Charles Street OB-GYN Associates announced it's affiliation with Capital Women's Care.